| Features: Physical Damage Policy

Your Physical Damage policy protects your vehicle against collision, theft and damage, even political violence. Coverage includes:

  • Protection against collision, theft, any damage that happens to the car (e.g. hail, vandalism etc.)
  • Political violence coverage: Damage to your car resulting from riots, strikes, terrorism and other perils are covered through Clements’ exclusive Political Violence insurance extension
  • Accident forgiveness: Your rate stays the same even after your first accident
  • Covers Towing & Labor Reimbursement: up to $100 USD per disablement, up to $300 USD per policy term
  • Home country rental car insurance expense reimbursement: All vehicle policies that include Physical Damage coverage will cover the cost of rental car insurance for $12 USD/day up to 21 days per policy period when renting a car in the US, Canada or your home country. This does not have to be consecutive.
  • Windshield replacements included
  • Transit coverage: all risk from departure to arrival available for government clients only
  • Optional coverage for duty expenses

| Features: Third-Party Liability Policy

Clements Worldwide, in partnership with Vittoria Assicurazioni S.p.A. offers third-party liability Italian car insurance policies that include: *

  • Third-party liability (Responsabilita’ Civile verso Terzi)
  • Vehicle protection (Danni Autovetture)
  • Personal accident coverage (Infortuni Conducente)
  • RCA sum insured with Bonus/Malus
  • Competitive discounts to future policy holders
  • Special discounts for expatriates  15 days of guaranteed cover after policy expiry
*Subject to underwriting guidelines. Limits, conditions and exclusions may apply.
Military and Diplomats Quote  >
Expats Quote  >
Motorcycle Quote  >

| FAQs

  • No, in Italy it is the car that is insured and the cover is issued on the number plate. So if you have more than one vehicle, you will need an insurance policy for each.
  • You can purchase the car without an Italian driving license, however, please check that the license that you hold is valid to drive in Italy. This needs to be checked wither with the local authorities or the office ACI or PRA (www.aci.it). However, it is mandatory to have an Italian fiscal code (tax code) in order to purchase a car in Italy.
  • There is no need to stress about adding additional drivers to your policy when buying car insurance coverage for Italy.

    In accordance to the Italian regulations, in Italy there are no restrictions on drivers – instead, the vehicle itself is insured. The policyholder must be the legal registered owner of the car, but anyone with a valid driver’s license can drive your car and be covered by your insurance policy.
  • Yes, you will have to have an international driver’s permit in order to drive legally in Italy. This applies even if you’re just renting a car for a short trip past the Italian border.

    It’s also important to keep in mind that you need to apply for your permit prior to your trip. Once you are in Italy, you will be ineligible to apply for one. You can apply for an international driver’s permit via these automobile associations before you leave: AAA (American Automobile Association) or AATA (American Automobile Touring Alliance).

    Finally, in addition to the legal requirements mentioned above, an international driver’s permit is genuinely useful. It translates the information on your domestic driver’s license, which will be extremely helpful if you get pulled over by the authorities while driving in Italy.
  • Clements can provide coverage for non-EU/EEC registered vehicles for up to 135 days with proof of Italian residency. You must arrange for your car to be registered under a local Italian license plate for us to continue to provide you with coverage beyond 135 days.
  • The Italian ‘No Claims Bonus’ structure operates under a system known as ‘Bonus/Malus’. As a result of this specific structure, our partner insurer, Vittoria Assucurazioni, can only accept foreign no claims certificates issued by an EU country.
  • The Italian ‘No Claims Bonus’ system is structured in classes, ranging from Class14 to Class 1. When drivers start a new policy, they are automatically categorized in ‘Class 14’. For each subsequent claim-free year, drivers graduate a class (the second year: Class 13; the third year: Class 12; etc.).

    If you have a claim for which you are at fault, your policy will go up two classes. So, for example, if you are in class 10, and are at fault for a claim, the following year you will be in class 12.
  • The minimum cover for third party liability in Italy is €7,290,000. There is no deductible or excess for third party liability claims.
  • In Italy, there are no policy restrictions on drivers. The insurance must be in the name of the legal owner of the vehicle. However, with your consent, anyone can drive your car and be covered by your policy, including your spouse and children.

    Please note, you must disclose if anyone under the age of 26 will drive the vehicle.
  • If you need to file a claim, always contact your Clements representative. We will help guide and assist you through the entire process.

    Your Clements representative will also help you with translations and any reports you must file under Italian law.

  • If you have bought Third Party Liability coverage, you will be provided with a Green Card (“Carta Verde”). This Green Card allows you to drive in any of the European Union countries and Schengen Area. The same level of cover provided for Italy will be also valid within the EU and Schengen Area.

    For example, if you purchased theft and fire coverage with your Third Party& Liability insurance, your car will be covered for these even if you are not in Italy.

    Countries covered by the Green Card provided with your insurance include: Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France (including Monaco), Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland (including Liechtenstein).

    For Italy (including San Marino and the Vatican City) we will provide you with an Italian certificate of insurance.
  • We accept electronic bank transfers as well as payments via debit and credit cards over the phone through our secure lines.

    If you are paying with a credit or debit card, one of our licensed agents will request your phone number to call you on a secure line. They will then take your payment and send you a certificate of insurance via email.

  • Our process is conducted entirely via phone and email.

    We will send you the contract first, after which we process your payment, and then you will receive your original contract and certificate of insurance.

    These documents are in PDF format and you must print a copy of each and keep them in your car with you as proof of insurance.

  • Our roadside assistance is available 24/7/365, both inside and outside of Italy. It is valid within Green Card territories (any member of the European Union including the Schengen area).
  • To purchase insurance in Italy, you must have the following documents:

    1. A copy of both sides of the logbook of the car (libretto di circolazione)
    2. A copy of both sides of your driving license
    3. A copy of certificate of ownership of your car
    Upon receiving these documents, our team will issue your contract and policy immediately. Your contract and certificate of insurance will be issued via email.
  • No. In accordance with Italian law, you do not have to have an Italian driving license to be insured.  If you have a valid license to drive, we can provide you with cover.
  • Currently, we can only issue annual policies. We can offer an annual contract, split into two instalments (6 months each) and put the policy on hold for up to 18 months.

    If you choose to put your policy on hold, the expiry date will be postponed. For example, if you defer the policy by one month, the expiry date will be postponed by one month.

    To defer your policy, you must send us an email. Please note, to defer your policy there is a €10 free. There is also no limit to the number of times that you can defer your policy.
  • If you: sell, scrap or export your car, we will cancel your contract at no cost and we will refund you the premium left to the expiry date, without the taxes. – *Subject to official proof of sale, scrap or export.

    Please note that there is no proportional refund for Theft, fire and/or accidental damage coverage in the event of cancellation.

  • You must have an Italian tax code (fiscal code) to purchase a car in Italy.
  • Dual citizenship does not change anything for you, and we can provide you with insurance coverage.
  • No, as the insurance is issued on the plates, we need to know the number plate reserved to you by the MVRO. Prior to your appointment at the military registration office, please request to know the number plate reserved to you, so we can issue the insurance policy to allow you to register the car.
Military and Diplomats Quote  >
Expats Quote  >
Motorcycle Quote  >

| Why Choose Clements?

Our expertise is international coverage. We have been providing insurance to expats since 1947. Our specialists will ensure you are adequately covered while driving abroad.

Other key benefits include:
  • Coverage in 170+ countries
  • Affordability—coverage that fits your budget
  • Global/borderless coverage—your policy automatically adjusts to meet the local insurance requirements in whichever country you are driving
  • Policy documents in English
  • Claims handled in-house, making the process quick and efficient
  • Can include both Physical Damage and Excess Liability coverage

| Contact Us

Still have questions? Fill out the form below and we’ll be happy to answer them.